I finally got them all dug, with the help of some of the kids in my club. I have not started planting yet as it is not quite the right time.


Pics of the river. It is the head waters of the Zambezi River.
River Plots


![]() |
| In this one see the termite mounds. |
Here are some wild petunias I found by the river.
My chickens are doing great, I got a double yolk egg the other day it was very big!
I finally gave up trying to get them in a pen, and now they are running around with the others on my family's compound. One is setting on a nest of eggs, one follows the rest of the flock and one keeps getting into my house and lives in the corner.
I have been cooking in my Kasansa. Here is a soup that I made with some sausage I purchased.
We had a big storm and lots of rain for a couple of days 10/9-10. My poor Krona is so sacred of the thunder. She is getting very big, being pregnant. I am going on a trip at the end of October to the Kasanka National Park to see the bats, and am hoping that she will have them before I leave.
When it was raining I found out that I had a leak in my roof. It was very fortunate that the bucket I use for a night time 'chamber pot', just happened to be setting underneath right there, so nothing got wet. That is Zambia for you, where the odds are good and the goods are odd!
I told you in my last blog about going to a festival across the river and had pictures of the boys coming back covered in cloth. There were 3 boys that had got through the circumcision ritual, after that they go into the bush with an uncle for a month. We were there when they came home. Here is some other pics from the festival.
![]() |
| Boys with their families. You will see one girl on the right. She is there because she is a twin to one of the boys. They do not separate twins and she went out to the bush with them. |
There were also some men dressed in costumes for the festival. They loved having me take pictures and did a little showing off for me. Those of you that know me well, know I have a deep seated fear of people in animal costumes, I found out this brings out the same anxiety!
My question of the month is "What do you do in America when the baboons eat your tomatoes?" I love this question for some many reasons. It really shows they have no knowledge of America or how we live. So tell me, what should I tell him?
We had an Apostle come and speak at the church across from my house. It was a very interesting talk. He told them that Ebola can only be spread by shaking hands. Just to add to that. We are being told to watch, but there have been no cases in Zambia.
He also explained that America builds skyscrapers because they are trying to see God. Hadn't really thought of that, maybe so.
We had a huge dinner after with all differnt kinds of meat, I tired to stay away from the rat and bush meat (monkey), but not really sure if I did. But everything I did eat was good and I ate a lot!
I've had a couple of rats or mice in the roof of my house, my pregnant cat is not able to get up there, but she did finally catch 2 of them. I got to listen to her crunching them under my bed. The tarantulas are very active in this hot weather, they climb the walls, but don't stick very well and they fall off. Krona catches them and crunches on them under my bed as well. I did see a camel spider run behind some of my boxes, I ran out of the house, so did Krona, 'fraidy cat!
My Batata explained to me how having chicks works in Zambia. If his rooster fertilizes my chicken's eggs, then the chicks will belong to him. I told him that this was alright with me, since when I left, I'd leave all my chickens for him anyway. He asked why I couldn't take them with me. I explained that is was not easy to take them on an airplane, he asked, "why, won't the sack fit under the seat, like on a bus?"
I want to thank everyone for the Birthday Wishes. I was nice to get them and the treats that were sent as well. I am planning a trip to the Prov. house for my birthday. I have a can of tomato soup and some grilled cheese waiting for me there.















No comments:
Post a Comment