Thursday, March 13, 2014

NEW SITE

I have gotten my new site assignment. I will be in the Northwest in a small village called Kawoma. In the Mwufuwand area.
Our Provincial house is in Solwezi, about 2-4 hours away depending on the transportation. I will have a proctedted water well 100 meters from my door. The market is about 6k away.

I met with the Chief this week, he was very nice. Dressed in his robe and crown. Even though he told us how progressive he was the male PCVs were able to sit in chairs while the women sat on mats on the floor. If we wanted to show we were very subservient we would have lain in the fetal position. We brought him gifts of 1 sack of flour, sugar, mealy meal (corn mea) and 3 chickens.
You can't forget to kneel and clap several times when you meet him and there is no eye contact.


My Host Ba Tata (father) Prince Fumpa Mujil. I then was able to meet my host father, we talked to over 2 hours. He is very nice, has 1 wife and 11 children. He asked me if I drank, I told him I didn't, he said he didn't any more, that is how he got 11 children! He is considered a Prince because his father is a chief. He can't wait to feed me bush baby and monkey. Another host thought is it was very funny we did not have wild monkeys in America. His village has lots of goats and cats. I told him that was great for me.

There has been on PCV in this village for the last 2 years, so I am starting from scratch.

He is also very proud of his school and the library they have yet to fill. I will be asking for everyone to help with this. The school is grades 1-9. But as they are learning English, they will need easy books. He really wants to see if we can get any kind. Remember that shipping is expensive, a 5 lbs box cost around $65.00 so donations of book and money to ship will be great, you can contact my Mom or let me know here if you are interested in helping.

He is very interested in having me involved in his programs of teaching people about mosquito nets and HIV/AIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment